So we pulled all of the unistrut from inside the boat that the previous owner had installed. The immense space inside this boat is now really apparent. I was then able to pull the main flooring up to get a good look at the floor joists. We have now determined that NONE of the interior floor was done at the factory. This because the laying of the flooring was done so poorly as observed by the following
– all secondary bonds were done with single tape of fine roving and no mat
– there is no evidence of sanding/grinding on areas of secondary bonds (required for mechanical bond)
– there are gaps as much as an inch between the joists and the hull.
– bolts on the compression post step are plain steel (not stainless) and are very rusted
– We cant believe this is what the factory had done. Plus there is evidence of resin spilled/dripped on the dirty hull interior as if the bonding was done in a very dirty environment (and the boat WAS in a very dirty environment when we picked her up).
The upside to this is that it should ALL come out easy. With such poor bonds we should be able to cut it out with a sawzall and hammer/chisel. Some of the taping we have already been able to pull up with our bare hands. This means less fiberglass grinding (not fun).
An update on the gel coat on the deck. Jeff, the boatyard owner spent some time inspecting the deck (thanks Jeff!). Overall, the deck laminate and coring is in very good condition. The gel coat, however, has a number of cracks all over. It appears there is some thick areas of gel coat layered with bondo and/or some other filler before the laminate. Gel coat is not structural and will shrink and crack over time if it is sprayed on too thick. So it looks like the deck will have to have all of it’s gel coat peeled off, faired and painted. Upside is we don’t have to deal with this for a couple years while we work on the interior.