Aft Deck Cleats Are In!

Installed similarly as the forward deck cleats: secured to a threaded aluminum backing plate gooped to the underside of the deck. The bulwarks here are not as high, so the cleats must go flat on deck. Still, they are not ankle-biters and minimal toe stubbers when folded down. And keeping with the theme of other deck hardware, they are removable by one person with one tool.

Port side cleat.

Both cleats

Cutting the backing plates.

Backing Plates

Backing plate under deck glued in place.

12 comments for “Aft Deck Cleats Are In!

1. October 17, 2011 at 2:36 am

why don't you just mount the deck cleats outboard of the bulwarks?

2. October 17, 2011 at 3:14 am

Hmmm. Interesting idea, though I don't think there is room for it.

3. Anonymous
    October 17, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Those backing plates look like they kick ass. I think ours are fiberglass.

4. October 21, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Are those cleats weaker than regular cleats ?

I have seen my cleats take some nasty jolts at times when the boat gets rolled at the dock.

Bill Kelleher

5. October 22, 2011 at 12:43 am

Bill, good question. They do only have two attachment bolts compared to four on many herreshof style cleats.

All pieces are cast 316 stainless and appear pretty beefy. We'll see how they stand up.

6. October 22, 2011 at 3:40 am

Robert,

How big are big are the hing pins ?

Bill Kelleher

7. October 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Bill, the hinge pins are at least 5/8 inches in diameter. And they are part of the same casting as the horns. Aside from the spring and latch, there are only two pieces: the base and horns.

8. October 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I didn't realize they were that big, should be as strong as the bolts. :))

Bill Kelleher

9. October 22, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I can even go bigger on the bolts if I want to. I could re-drill and tap for 7/16 or 1/2 inch bolts. Which I might do later.

10. AK
    October 24, 2011 at 12:13 am

this is beatiful boat. I am a beginner, learning to sail, myself

11. November 19, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Hi, I'm Fr. Jorge Martinez LC. and what can I say: sailboats are a big part of my life. It's been a couple of weeks now and I got to the Idea of building my own sailboat or doing one as a project. I saw your web page (and I thank you a lot for all the time and excellent advise you've put into it), but I can't seem to find the start point, how and when did you began and what are the logical steps to take, could you help so that I can find them in your blog and get started on the preparation? I have a whole crue that wants to join the adventure of building a sailboat.
    Thank you very much and God Bless.

12. November 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Jorge, thanks for the comment. I somehow lost my "blog archive" on the sidebar. It shows a list of older posts back to when the project started. It is back up now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.