Upper Chain Locker is In

Once thought as one of the first items to be framed in, ends up being one of the the last. Finish work can now proceed in the v-berth.

A recap of the design: there are two chain lockers. One “upper” one “lower”. The upper is intended for chain/rope anchor rode. The lower is intended for all chain. The chain feed into the lower locker is provided by a 4 inch fiberglass tube. The design is to help keep weight lower and closer to the center of the boat.

Construction

I will let the pictures speak…

The vertical 4 inch fiberglass tube is the hawse pipe into the lower chain locker. It is intentionally cut long. When windlass and chain thru-deck locations are selected, the tube will be cut down and diverted to one of the thru-deck locations.

Comments on this installation

Installation was tedious and annoying for a 6 foot + person being cramped up into the small bow area. For this reason, using structural adhesive (Plexus), instead of fiberglass and resin, made installation much easier and less messy.

The “floor” and the “wall” pieces were cut from fiberglass reinforced Coosa board. To help improve resistance against wear and tear from falling heavy chain, the surfaces of the Coosa pieces were pre-laminated with random chopped strand mat fiberglass and resin..

7 comments for “Upper Chain Locker is In

1. September 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

This is a just a FYI comment.

On my boat I have had the all chain rode pile up and not been able to get anymore chain down the tube till I went below and moved the pile.
    My suggestion is to have a big enough opening that you can get in there to move it.

Bill Kelleher

2. September 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks Bill. Yeah, the idea is that if you need to unfoul the chain in the lower locker, just pull up one of the v-berth boards and get at it. It is expected the upper locker will get more use than the lower. To unfoul the upper locker, reach in from the access hatch on deck, or from the access hatch in the v-berth.

3. Don Eckert
    September 20, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Consider this: To further reduce wear, go to your local "Tractor Supply Co" outlet and pick up one or two of the Horse Stall rubber mats to add to the bottom of the chain locker as protection. It shouldn't be too difficult to cut those rubber mats to fit into the bottom of the locker?

4. Anonymous
    September 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Robert… Thank you for the updates and pics. If you get a moment…can/would you just take pics from all around the boat… We would enjoy just seeing random shots. Thank you… Paul

5. September 22, 2012 at 1:41 am

Paul, Is that a troll? Are you trying to get me to clean up the inside of the boat? LOL

6. Anonymous
    September 23, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Robert… You know you need to clean it up….. I'm just helping. I bet things are looking fantastic…. come on…do it…then take shots and be proud of your hard work as you show it off! Thanks Paul

7. September 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I'll see what I can do. My little point-and-shoot camera does not take interior pics well. I need a wide-angle camera.