Well, I was hoping to get further this weekend, but when the outside temperature is in the 30s, EVERYTHING must wait for epoxy cure, even when using “fast” catalyst.
So the ice box cabinet is “in”, that is, “secured in place”. Final permanent installation of the foam insulation will come later this week. Anyway, here is what happened…
At this point there is 3.5 inches of foam insulation in the outer layer of the cabinet, which is an R-value of about 18.
The cabinet base sits between the bottom of the cabinet and the galley floor. It provides for a three inch kick space for all sides that face the interior.
A “corner” of the floor was cut and secured to where the ice box will sit. The base mentioned above will rest on this piece. It was cut about a quarter inch shy on the perimeter which allows the final galley floorboard to “joint in” underneath the ice box base for a nice flush secure fit. Floor boards can be removed without messing with the ice box.
Plumbed underneath the ice box bottom, inside the base, is the plumbing for the ice box drain, which is 1/2 inch PVC. A fiberglass angle bracket secures the bottom of the cabinet to the 1-1/2 inch coosa board floor supports, using 5/16 bolts. Otherwise would be exposed plywood is painted (Bilgekote white) to get some sort of sealed coating on it (not for looking ‘nice’).
The plywood panels were lined with radiant reflective mylar in the shop (I just cut up some of those cheap emergency heat blankets). I then moved them into the boat where they were “glued and screwed” in the final assembly.
In addition to the angle bracket underneath, the cabinet is secured to the boat by way of five 5/16 inch bolts through the 1-1/2 inch coosa board bulkhead immediately forward of the box. The bolts are recessed in a counterbore from the forward side of the bulkhead into tee nuts previously set into the cabinet panel during construction.