Category «Keel»

The Keel is done!

This keel problem was more of a distraction than I needed. The discovery that it was full of water completely changed the initial plan of action. To compound matters, trying to estimate the amount of resin required to fill it proved difficult. For those keeping tally, the total number of gallons needed to fill the …

Tilling the Keel

So this last weekend saw the removal of the top of the keel. After about six sawzall blades, the fiberglass and plywood underneath was removed. The loose ballast was very dry. I stole some of my wife’s gardening tools and started digging through the ballast. I could dig down about 3-4 inches before I hit …

Last of the resin in the keel (for now)

This past weekend saw fifteen more gallons of resin infused into the keel (total now is 54 gallons in the keel). That doesnt fill it up completely, but it is close. I want to leave a bit of space for cutting out the top of the keel. I hope to do that next weekend. Once …

14 more gallons of resin

Infused about 14 more gallons of resin. In five gallon batches. That makes a total of 24 gallons. So far all indicators suggest the keel is not even half full, if mesured by height from the outside bottom of the keel. I am out of resin now. Gotta order more. Any guesses as to how …

5 more gallons of resin

Drilled a couple more holes on the side of the hull. Drew 5 gallons of slow catalyzed, 15% acetone thinned resin. The process was more like “vacuum assisted gravity feed”. Resin was fed 3 litres at a time over two hours, catalyzed just before it was drawn. Five gallons took it up to about 5 …

Dumped 5 gallons of resin in the keel.

I dumped 5 gallons of catalyzed resin into the keel yesterday. Catalyzed it with 1% catalyst to maximize working time (at 60 degrees F it is about 4-5 hours). I also thinned it with 10% acetone. It was like a very thin corn syrup, but not exactly water. I wanted to see how well it …

Sealing the Keel

With about a week and a half to go before I start full time work, I have been trying to make as much headway on the physical work needing to be done to the hull. We have been going back and forth on how to address the case of the water in the keel. It …

Drying out the Keel

Not much done on the hull this week. The discovery of water in the keel is no big thing. We just want to dry it out as best as possible. The good thing is that we dont need to address putting a new skin over the top of the keel until we are ready to …

Surprise! Water Ballast!

So, after hearing some ominous thumps as I tapped the top of the keel, I took a hole saw and cut a couple inspection holes. Its WET IN THERE! Oh geesh. After removing all the flooring, we were commenting about how there could be no more surprises. WRONG! So I cut some more inspection holes …