Grinding and Cleanup

So the last week or so as seen mostly fiberglass grinding. Grinding off the remnants of the floor tabbing. There was one change of plan that did happen… The original plan was to remove the fore and aft flooring and clean the hull while keeping the center section in place because it provided a nice …

Cleanup after Tabbing removal

So last weekend I cleaned up the mess of the removal of the floor tabbing (see pictures). There was dust from the sawzall and the crumbling rotted plywood. I removed some of the small remaining tabbing to get it ready for grinding. Will have to set up some sort of tent and dust collection before …

Cleaning the Bilge, Removing the Floor

So this week we did a few things… Got in and cleaned out the bilge as best as possible. There must have been about an inch of mud in the bilge. Scooped most of that out. Actually found the bottom of the bilge! Tore out the forward floor joists/compression post step. These are the joists …

Inspecting the Floors

So we pulled all of the unistrut from inside the boat that the previous owner had installed. The immense space inside this boat is now really apparent. I was then able to pull the main flooring up to get a good look at the floor joists. We have now determined that NONE of the interior …

Mild Hydrochloric Acid

So, this entry is basically a summary for the week. I took the pressure washer to the deck. It got a lot of the loose stuff off. It revealed a fairly clean deck. A couple days later, I took some “On and Off” hull and bilged cleaner to the deck, full strength. Lo and behold, …

Pressure Washer (again)

The parts to fix the pressure washer came in today. The weather was decent so I turned it on the deck. Turns out there is a boat under all that dirt. There are some bad mildew spots that I will have to take some sort of cleaner to. I also turned the washer on the …

Need some Stairs

Built a set of stairs to board the boat so I would not have to scramble up and down a ladder. First time I built stairs. I modeled them after another set in the yard, but these had to go up 10 feet high. Didn’t turn out too bad. The steps widen about an inch …

Scrubbing The Deck

Took a stiff brush and some boat soap to the cockpit. Had to really scrub to get the caked on dirt off. Again the pressure washer will do better. Removed the cockpit floor to clean around the lip of the floor. Lots of dirt had built up there. Took some adhesive remover to some oil …

Washing the Inside of the Hull

Took a garden hose/sprayer to the inside to get the loose bits of dirt out. Much of it came off easily. The pressure washer should do fine. Pulled up the forward factory installed floor. Took a look at the timbers. Looks like some of them have some rot. And, the fiberglass tabbing is not adhering …